Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bacon or Bust

"Yes, I'll have a non-fat, decaf latte, please. Oh what the hell? Look, make it a full-fat mocha with extra whipped cream. What the hell, put a slice of bacon on it!"- Dr. Frasier Crane (A Quote from Frasier.)

What's not to like about bacon, with it's crispy, salty, and fatty deliciousness? It can be added to almost anything to enhance the flavor of an otherwise bland dish. It is actually referred to as "nature's candy." No matter how you slice it, it is always scrumptious. I mean com'on, what is better then the aroma of hot, sizzling bacon fresh off the skillet? Even vegetarians have trouble resisting this meaty treat when they smell it cooking.


www.icanhasinternets.com
The last month Greg and I have been on a huge bacon kick. Most weekends we have it for breakfast and during the week we add it to a variety of foods such as salads and sandwiches. It's getting bad... we just can't get enough of it (Maybe that's why my pants are feeling a little tighter).  In fact my craving is so great that today, when I was at Costco, I was tempted to buy bacon in bulk. My hand was on the handle, ready to pull open the refrigerator door. The bacon was staring at me, and I was staring at it, but somehow I managed to resist (As it is, I already get in trouble for spending too much on my Costco runs). My arteries, heart and weight will thank me later. So, I guess for now the 10lbs of bacon in the home refrigerator will do.
This brings me to the reason for this blog. Think of all the endless possibilities I can do with bacon. I can add it to salads, sandwiches, eggs, baked potatoes, hamburgers, hotdogs and soups. But can I do more? What about baked goods? Can something so rich and decadent like bacon be added to something that is intended to be sweet? I am here to tell you, yes! The real question is, will your tasty treat get the praise it deserves?


I would like to present to you my next baking extravaganza:
Smoky Bacon-Ginger Cookies
(Recipe taken from Martha Stewart)

I present to you: Bacon Ginger Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces thick-cut smoked bacon (about 6 slices), cut into 1/4-inch dice.
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 sorghum syrup or unsulfured molasses
  • 1/2 cup saw sugar, such as turbinado
  • smoked sea salt, for sprinkling


Directions:
1. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 14 minutes. Pour off fat and reserve (you should have 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fat and 3/4 cup bacon); transfer bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; let bacon and reserved fat cool. 


Cook me some bacon, bitch!

Grease, please!
2. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Whisk to combine flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, beat butter and both sugars with an electric mixer on medium-high until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes Beat in reserved bacon fat. Add egg and mix until blended, scraping down side of bowl as necessary. Add sorghum syrup and mix until blended. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture, mixing until blended. Mix in reserved bacon.

3. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in raw sugar to coat. Space 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten balls using the palm of your hand or a spatula; sprinkle lightly with smoked sea salt. Bake 1 sheet at a time, rotating halfway through, until edges are set and tops are cracked but centers are still soft, about 8 minutes. Let cookies cool completely on wire racks. 
Firm, salty balls
Flat balls, ouch.
I have to say, when I took these cookies out of the oven, I was hesitant to try them. In fact, I asked Greg to try them out first. Funny thing is, he was a little unsure as well. Finally after the typical battle, "no, you try it," "no, you try it" we both sunk our teeth into them. After all that, we were pleasantly surprised! Every bite was so different. Some salty bites and some taste full of ginger. Overall,  I thought they had great texture, soft and chewy, with a great balance of sweet and salty.

Then there were my friends and family members. I got mixed reviews about these cookies. Some people hated them, so much that they threw them in the garbage after taking only a bite. But some loved them, grabbing handfuls. Some people wanted more bacon and some could not get past the idea of eating a 'meat cookie.'

Even though I thought they were great and a majority of my tasters enjoyed them, I am a little hesitant to make them again. For the time (1.5-2 hours) and effort I put into these cookies, I would have hoped that people liked them better. So while they sound good, look pretty and feel soft, they were not a total crowd pleaser. Hopefully, my next adventure will come with big smiles and happier tummies.

Eat me! I am salty and sweet.


2 comments:

  1. Yes these cookies were different, but they were absolutely amazing. She did a fabulous job!! My husband ate 2 of them and she sent him with a few more for late, well later came quick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. save me one! :) and... i know these aren't on your ballot, but i would vote for homemade tagalongs... yuuuum, i just used every bit of resistance in my body to turn down some outside the grocery store!

    ReplyDelete