Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Muffin Tops to Cake Pops

To challenge myself?.... or not to challenge? This is what I was asking myself on Ash Wednesday, the start of Lent. I decided to take on the challenge: No "sweets" for 40 days. What was I thinking?! No Skittles. No Mambas. No Starburst. I'm crazy. Even now, 20 days later, every time I am in the check out line at the grocery store and see the "deal": buy 2 for 1.00... I am tempted to reach for the ENTIRE box! I know, I have problems. At least I am half way to Easter!

On a good note, when I decided to give up sweets, the term 'sweets' did NOT include baked goods... at least in my mind, anyway. Greg and my coworkers may beg to differ. Before I get to my baking, let's take a minute to talk about holidays. Everyone has a favorite holiday. Agree? Some like Thanksgiving for the great food, some like Christmas for the plethora of presents, while others like Fourth of July for fireworks and an excuse to party.

Well, I love Easter. 2 reasons.
1. It's a special day to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ
2. I get to hunt for Easter Eggs and my Mom's Easter baskets

Goodies from last year's basket.  
I know, I know. I am 27 years old. Grow up, right? NO! I hope to get a basket when I am 50! I have always been a candy lover. If I could live off candy alone, I would. As far back as I can remember I have always received massive baskets filled with an endless amount of goodies on Easter. Mornings consisted of an Easter egg hunt, collecting candy and money filled eggs and then it was the hunt for the basket. (Once my brother was old enough to 'hunt,' it was on... I had to get the golden egg first. I found it first last year....booya... 5.00 bucks in my pocket!) To sum it up, my mom's baskets are amazing. I like to compare it to winning the lotto...Winning! Winning- Charlie Sheen style. Okay, I guess on a lower scale, but still, they are pretty awesome.

The golden egg winner: Lisa
Now that I have your stomach growling for sweets, let's talk about your muffin top. Ok, maybe not your muffin top.  These are spongy, moist and full of deliciousness. In preparation and excitement for Easter, less then 4 weeks away, I baked...(drum roll please)...CAKE POPPERS.


Ingredients:

Cupcakes:
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Gel or liquid food colors (neon pink, neon purple, neon orange, neon green, classic blue)
**Can also use a Betty Crocker Cake box- Follow the directions on the back of the box.

Frosting:
  • 1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
  • Gel or liquid food colors (neon pink, neon purple, neon orange, neon green, classic blue)
**Can also use a homemade buttercream frosting.

Steps:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two mini muffin sheets. 

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth.

3. Divide batter among 5 small bowls, about 1/2 cup each. Make 5 different colors of batter by adding 1/4 teaspoon food color to each bowl; blend well.

4. Fill each muffin cup with 1 level measuring tablespoon batter, making 10 cupcakes of each color.

5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool completely, about 10 minutes.

6. In a large bowl, beat marshmallow creme and butter with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Beat in powdered sugar until fluffy. Divide frosting among 5 food colors, lightly tint frosting in each bowl to match the cupcake colors.

7. Assemble each popper using 2 mini cupcakes. Cut 'muffin tops' off each cupcake horizontally (save bottoms for another use). 



Scraps anyone?
8. Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon frosting on cut side of 1 cupcake top. Form a sandwich by placing cut side of second cupcake top on frosting; press lightly. Repeat with remaining cupcake tops. Store loosely covered. 


Be prepared for a messing kitchen, lots of dishes, and stained fingers! While these colorful, bite size, and spongy cake sandwiches are tasty they are also time consuming and messy.  If you have a free afternoon and a large work space, these will be worth your while. They would be great for parties, kids or just to eat on the go. Can't beat it. Cake on the go...no cutting necessary!  I would definitely bake these again, however, I would slightly alter the frosting to a more traditional buttercream frosting (Not a huge fan of marshmallow in my frosting). Other than that, they are delicious as is. These poppers will be the talk of the party!

Happy Baking!

1 comment: